Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How to Know You're A Value Investor

Dear Diary,

You know you are a Value Investor when you get excited in a bear market, like we are experiencing now!

The DOW is down over 20 % since last June, and I'm lovin' it.

I bought up some Coach, Inc. (COH) yesterday at $29 and change, plus a minimal brokerage fee.

American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) is getting hammered down to $13 per share, due to the loss of top executives that resulted from a 9% loss in sales last quarter. This could be serious, but I think the brand is powerful enough to handle the upset. This is the kind of situation that made Mr. Buffett rich. It appears to me to be a natural downturn in the business between cycles during a recession, and the executives are just reacting to personal embarrassment, as they interpret it.

Croc.'s Inc. (CROX) continues downward to a p/e ratio of 5.3 or $7.50 a share, I read. I'll buy more of this to bring my average buy price below $10 per share.

Later,

Gene Chapman